Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ABC Challenge - "E" is for Egyptian inspired.

First off, I wanted to comment on something that was brought up on the Facebook page.  I just wanted all the great ladies involved in this challenge to know - I know I don't reply to any of the posts made on my page, but with my limited time, I would much rather spend it looking at what you all have come up with and commenting on your pages than replying to comments on mine.   Be assured, I read every single one (and not just because the "Publish" option forces me to).  I really, really appreciate all the comments and words of encouragement that you leave every week.  Now, on to the mani...

My mother was a huge fan of anything Egyptian.  I don't know why, but she was.  I wish I had taken her to some of the exhibits that made their way through Chicago, but she had issues going in to the city, among other things.  So when "E" came up, I thought I would do something related to it.  My inspiration picture is this:



Not just for the picture, but for the colors.  Gold, coral, and turquoise seem as if they are a primary part of all the images I was looking at.  I also thought it would be a good example to see if I had any of the images in this photo on any stamping plates I have.  Well, that didn't pan out really well, but I did have a couple.

Next, the polishes I used:  I decided to go with drugstore brands.  Partly because I couldn't find a coral and turquoise in my collection (Sinful Colors had them both), and partly because I was anxious to try something from the Wet 'n Wild Fergie collection.  I had tried Wet 'n Wild before - it was disappointing.  But new marketing, new packaging...why not give it a try?



The colors are:  Sinful Boogie Nights (coral), Sinful Mint Apple, and Wet 'n Wild Gold Album.  The gold?  1 coat = full coverage.  Very happy with this polish for $3.99 a bottle.  There are a few other colors in the collection that I wouldn't mind getting.  If they all apply like this, I'm going to watch the new Wet 'n Wild a little more. 

I know I am VERY long winded this week, but this made me think of my mom...anyway, here's the mani.  Again, night pictures.  I had intended to take them during the day, but the last two days have been cold, wet, windy, dark, snowy, wet, cold...you get the idea.  I don't think I was able to go 10 minutes without having to put lotion on my hands, it has been so bad.  Plus, moving files and handling paperwork all day for the last two days were VERY hard on my hands.  Three days in, and it still doesn't look too bad, if I do say so myself.

I had a choice of doing something more time period authentic, or have a little fun with it.  I decided to have a little fun.  I didn't have patience for authentic...  Oh, I almost forgot to mention - this is the first time I ever tried stamping...EVER.  Although these were just single images, I totally see myself doing this a LOT more.





So, there you have it.  One more week down - time is really flying with this!  Thanks again for the look see, and be sure to see all the other ladies' take on the letter "E" below!!

Until next week!

20 comments:

  1. They look really great. My mum loves all things Egyptian...I have no idea why lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the nail art on this mani! Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm deeply in love with everything related to Egyptian world and history so... Beautiful done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors and stamping :) So nice you put that much thought into this and also shared your story with us. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, as a Mom, I can attest that adoring forms of Egyptian art goes with the job title. This mani rocks something fierce. Your stamping is right on. Great job. And the dots bring it to a new level. Inspiring work!

    N as for the commenting, not to worry. After I publish a comment, it's a rare day that I a rurally go back to see if there's been a response. I'm too busy reading everyone's next post. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute mani! I love coral and turquoise together, it's one of my favorite combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! True egyptian colors here :) They look great together, no wonder why the egyptians loved them back then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute mani! I love all the colors that you used. They complement each other well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool design! I have some of those Fergie polishes and I agree they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Egyptian art on your nails turned out very well! The edges are nice and clean! The color you picked out are perfect! Well done, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Egypt! The most beautiful place I've ever been to, it's magic. Well, ancient places at least. I love your mani, it reminded me of that vacation and I could cry right now. And I bet you would cry for other memories. What a couple we would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! At least there would be some smiles mixed in. Egypt is on my "to go" list. I've gotten to Africa, and Egypt is close to next on my list.

      Delete
  12. I'm obsessed with Egypt...how did I not think of this???? I love these!!! Fabulous job! And I understand how memories of your mother can be bittersweet, I have that issue too. If you get a chance (no worries), where did you get the Egyptian stamping plate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a whole lot of plates, but I did find a couple images on a set from Shandy. SH01 has a stork on it, SH04 has the Eye of Isis, and Bundle Monster has an Ankh on BM322. I was very surprised, and disappointed that there weren't other images.

      Delete
  13. I adore this. I am a huge nerd and devour all things Egyptian. Egyptian Mythology being one of my passions. I have an Eye of Horus tattooed on my bicep and have plans for Anubis soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an awesome idea!!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool inspiration! I would have never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how this turned out - the color combo is fab!

    ReplyDelete